I'm going a step further then Mark and I'm going to put the name OpenID on it an see if OpenID can match up with POTS and its characteristics.
- Highly available :OpenID at ISPs will provide High availability
- Highly reliable: The exisitng internet technologies (see further) are working reliable now, so will OpenID.
- Highly standard: OpenID is an open, decentralized, free framework. OpenID takes advantage of already existing internet technology (URI, HTTP, SSL, Diffie-Hellman).
- Easily recognized: Everybody knows URLs. The OpenID-logo is easily recognizable.
- Simple to use: Login to your Identity Provider once and start using your OpenID URL
- Usable: It allows you to login easily. Just use your own URL.
- Ubiqutous: Here we have a problem.
- Critical to our daily activities: IaaS itself isn't critical yet, and this is the same for OpenID.
- So commonplace we take it for granted: URLs are taken for granted.